Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dear SA Embassy: Why don't you pick up the phone?

This is the email I sent to the South African embassy in Delhi earlier today, after they were of zero help yesterday when we went to court to make our statements, due to the fact that they have no one answering their phones. Yeah.

Dear Sirs,

I am a South African citizen staying in Delhi. This is to inform you that on Monday 17 March I was sexually harassed in Saket, New Delhi and registered an FIR with the Saket Police Station (FIR No. XXX). Yesterday the culprits were apprehended and my 2 friends and I went to the courthouse to give our statements. We will likely have a court date soon as my friends, a German national and a Colombian national, are leaving the country at the end of the month.

I tried to call the embassy in Vasant Vihar multiple times throughout the day yesterday, on the first two numbers provided on the DIRCO website. I was disappointed that out of the seven times I tried calling, the calls went unanswered 6 times. The one time I managed to get someone on the line, I explained what had happened and was asked to hold. After waiting on hold for some time the line went dead. My calls went unanswered thereafter.

As you can imagine, I'm disappointed by the embassy's service. My two friends' embassies, the German embassy and the Colombian embassy, were helpful and responsive throughout the day yesterday. It was an embarrassment that my embassy could not be contacted and could not be of assistance.

I will not go into further details about what happened in this email, as it is of a sensitive nature. I sincerely hope someone from the embassy will call me on +91XXXXXXXXX so that I can explain in further detail what happened and what the further proceedings will be.

Regards,

Melissa Nefdt
Passport number XXXXXXXX

Yeah. I'm pretty pissed. Will let y'all know if they ever call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment