Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 1: The pledge

Sooooo...clearly I suck as a blogger. I've been in India for over a month and haven't written anything about it. Well, I haven't written anything here on the blog, anyway. I have an entire journal full of observations and angsty scribblings.

Yes, I said angsty. I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety lately. That's mostly what's been causing my writer's block. When you start asking yourself questions like, "But what if it's crap? What if people hate it? What if it's...horror of horrors...boring?!" you pretty much cripple your creative capacity before you've even begun. "I want to be deep! I want to be entertaining! I want to be inspiring! I want to be funny!" Yet all I end up being is nothing. Because nothing ever comes out. All the ideas remain in my head, as perfectly-worded epithets. No one can judge the ideas in my head, not even myself.

Anyway, you'll hear all about my struggle with fears and anxieties (my own and those of others) soon enough. Today I just wanted to start very simply, and say that I'm committing to...drumroll, if you will, kind sir...100 DAYS OF BLOGGING! Yes, indeed, good readers. I will overcome my fear of putting down and publishing my thoughts by making a commitment to publishing something, anything, every day for 100 days.

Yes, a lot of it will be inane, boring drivel. That's ok. Some of it, at the very least, will be worth reading. And I'm realising more and more that I'm surrounded by so many kind friends who love me, and will read the crap I write purely because they care about me and want to know what's happening in my life and in my head. I am eternally grateful for these people. If you're reading this, you're probably one of them. You're lovely.

So here's to 100 days of markets, panic, Hindi, autorickshaws (and autorickshaw drivers, like the one I accidentally found myself on a date with), clarity, cows, temples, growth, FabIndia, travel, joy, development (but what is development?), flatmates, food, faux-pas, truth, dust, friends, heat, peace, trains, toilets, namastes, and, because it's me, love.

M.xx

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Lovely to see a post - go for it :) and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete